It is Sunday, March 13 and I have a little over a week to go before the big day. Last week, I was a nervous wreck...trouble sleeping, worried about the pain, etc.
Once I had my pre-op with Dr. Millis and his awesome staff, I realize that I am in the best hands and the other side of the surgery is all recovery. Recovery....a really important thing for all of us not to lose sight of. For years, I haven't had recovery but rather the opposite. I have been going downhill with my quality of movement and life with my bad hip. It was never going to get better on its own, no matter how hard I want to believe I can live with it and saying, "oh, its not that bad." The truth is, it is bad. The hip is going to continue to hurt, break down and become riddled with arthritis. With that said, the alternative with this surgery is the hope to salvage my hip and become close to 100% as I can ever remember.
So, I guess, that is why I am calm today. I am looking forward to recovery, although long so I can walk more than one mile at a time, pain free. So I can work out at the gym without worrying about the aftermath of pain. So I can do things that I always hesitated to do because of the fear of pain and not rely on a bottle of aspirin or pain relief medication.
The recovery is going to be long but I am so tired of same old same old with my hip. I am just grateful I have a top 10 doctor in one of the best areas of medicine in Boston who has promised he will help me. What more can I ask for?
So, if anyone is here thinking about surgery, worrying if you should or shouldn't, just think of the other side...and trust me... I AM THE BIGGEST BABY EVER! I hate pain, I am afraid of all of it, but the thought of running just because I can is just the best thought ever!
On a side note, I will be able to watch NCAA basketball in my hospital room...so yay for that! I always try to take time out of work to watch, so it looks like I have a reason to sit on my ass and watch!
Happy Sunday everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will be thinking about you and praying everything goes well! Dr. Millis is amazing and you are in great hands! I go in the day before you at Children's so our recoveries will be pretty similar! If you have any questions about what to expect let me know : )
ReplyDeleteMy biggest concern is the pain once I wake up. I hope once the epidural comes out the oral medication works ok. How easy was walking on crutches? How was sleeping for the first month?
ReplyDelete